SAVE, A Friend to Homeless Animals
SAVE, A Friend to Homeless Animals is an "equal opportunity employer." SAVE does not discriminate and will take "affirmative action" measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SAVE is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in all aspects of the employer-employee/applicant relationship including, but not limited to, advertising, recruiting, testing, interviewing, hiring, training, education, assistance, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, layoff, return from layoff, social and recreational programs, and all privileges and conditions of employment. SAVE seeks to employ the best qualified people in all positions and to provide equal opportunity for advancement to all employees. SAVE will not discriminate against or give preference to any person for any unlawful reason. SAVE complies with all local, state and federal laws and will not unlawfully discriminate because of sex, sexual or affectional orientation, color, race, religion/creed, national origin, nationality, ancestry, gender identity and expression, marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, liability for service in the armed forces of the United States, genetic information, possession of atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait (AHCBT) , or any other characteristic protected under law.
Kennel Attendant/Adoption Counselor
Reports to: Director of Operations, Executive Director, Customer Relations Manager, Kennel Manager, Assistant Kennel Manager
Salary: hour rate to be determined based on experience
Hours required: part time, weekends a must
Perform routine animal care and related duties to resident cats and dogs at SAVE animal shelter. This work involves cleaning, maintaining kennel areas, and performing related shelter duties. Employees carry out daily assignments; such as speaking with visitors and potential adopters regarding resident animals and using independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions to deal with standard recurring situations.
Essential Job Functions
- Clean dog kennels, cat cages and performs related housekeeping duties.
- Maintains proper inventory levels of cleaning and other supplies. Informs manager when reordering is necessary.
- Speak to potential adopters about available and suitable pets.
- Perform daily dog walking, training and enrichment to resident dogs as instructed by kennel manager.
- Bathe dogs and cats.
- Assist other staff with laundry duties.
- Perform other related work as required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Knowledge of basic animal husbandry.
- Knowledge of basic methods and procedures of kennel cleaning.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public.
- Ability to handle animals (cats and dogs) safely and effectively.
- Ability to clean kennels efficiently.
- Ability to work independently.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Training and/or Education
High School Diploma or GED
Experience preferred, but willing to train qualified candidate
Licenses or Certificates
Valid driver’s license
The work is performed in shelter surroundings. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods; lift and carry up to 50 pounds; bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects. The work requires the ability to understand English, speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
Work is subject to working on weekends and holidays. Employee will be required to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.